Thursday, January 6, 2011

Amigurumi Love

***sidenote: Blogger kept crashing on me, so this is my third time trying to publish something today***

They are the cutest little bastards EVER! An Arigurumi is a small, crocheted doll. The word originates from Japan, and they are usually in the form of some adorable animal. Here in North America, the term Amigurumi tends to refer more to larger crocheted animals.

You should tell by now that I am practically dying to make an Arigurumi doll right now. I definately cannot handle the Cuteness (with a capital C) of these. My knowledge is a bit limited--I barely know how to crochet, although I have made a white crocheted hat before. What I do know is that it is quite simple. I've read a few articles on what you need to get to start your own animal.

1. Materials
Materials are just a bit vague-and you'll probably have them if you crochet a bit.

A size G/4.25mm or F/3.75mm hook.
- These are the most commonly used hooks for arigurumi, But sometimes it can go up to an 8H/5mm hook. If the pattern doesn't specify, look at your yarn label and get a 1 or 2 smaller a size than recommended.

Yarn
- Typically, it's worsted weight. But some patterns will tell you what to get, and if you're making your own pattern; what the hey! Get any yarn you want!

Yarn Needle
- The yarn needle is used to sew different parts of the amigurumi together; like the tail, or the ears.

Polyester Fiberfill
-Basically: stuffing. A bag of fiberfill will probably give you plenty enough to make a bunch of these guys.

2. Stitches
 -Some must know stitches/techniques are:
              - Magic Circle
              - Single Crochet
              - Decreasing
              - Increasing
              - Chain (obviously)
              - Working in the round

I think that's it! Amigurumi basics, that's all. I found a wonderful other blog teaching you these things: Click Here. You could also look on Youtube as well. For free patterns, Google them. There's tons floating around on the internet. I recomend searching the lionbrand Amigurumi patterns. They have pictures of the finished product and look pretty easy.

I can't wait for the weekend! Right now for the finals coming up, I barely have any room to cram info in my head during schooldays. D: Plus I need to finish that knitting.

I hope you guys DO try this out. It's really fun, I've been told, and all the end products look great!


ARE NOT THEY CUTE? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment