Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas FieSTa

Holy Cow. It's 4 days until Christmas. Pretty awesome right? Of course! It also means I need to make a HUGE baking FIESTA. Ah, don't you remember those Christmas' when your mom or grandma made a ginormous load of goodies, so much you couldn't finish it all though the family was made up of cookieholics? My Christmas goal is to recreate that scene. Sorta like that pic on the left. It looks so warm and eatable. I was also hoping to knit some stockings as a gift for the family, but never mind that. I've already started a scarf/stole thing that'll probably take a year to finish at the rate I'm going. A heads-up: the next few posts will probably just be a bunch of stuff I got to make. So it'll be like the four days of Christmas, with baking baking baking!

DAY 1 was today And I managed to squish in 2 things actually. Bread, and Donuts!!

The donuts were a semi-win. They tasted a bit too yeasty, and the glaze recipe was way too runny and the paper towels soaked it up instead. They weren't bad though. They just weren't the best. In the beginning the frying was completely messed up. They were brown and out of shape because I peeled them off the tray I had them rise on. Here's a picture:
Brown, greasy little thangs!


Then it started looking better when I got through my 20 donuts, so the last ones turned out more like this:
Nommable!

Now the glaze was a problem. It was runny, runny, runny as hell. The tray holding my little fried beasts looked like it was soaked in water.

It looks like they decided to go potty

Still, it was light, airy and delicious. Next time I plan to make my own glaze and probably add a bit more sugar to the dough because the whole family is sugar addicts. The recipe I used? Click HERE. Just a tip - these taste like homemade donuts, not those heavenly delicious Krispy Kreme ones. But they're good. And add a teaspoon of vanilla, it helps.
If you're wondering about the bread, I didn't get to take a picture of it. :( But I make the bread as the staple recipe, so you'll probably see it in the future more than you want to.

P.S. Yes, the post below is rather lame. It was my first post though.

No comments:

Post a Comment